Chief Executive Officer – Institute of Groundsmanship, UK
Geoff joined the Lawn Tennis Association in 1990 and was promoted to the position of Head of Major Projects with responsibility for the Indoor Tennis Initiative building 43 indoor pay and play centres across the UK. In 2000 Geoff joined the Football Foundation and set up the capital grants programme with an annual budget of £52 million. Geoff joined the IOG as CEO in 2005 implementing new thinking and approaches including:
- Raising the profile of the Institute through the launch of the IOG strategy entitled “Challenging Perceptions” gaining recognition from politicians and key sports decision makers.
- Set up the 2012 Fund specifically to aid research into sport surfaces and offer bursaries.
- Established the Young IOG Directors board
- Established the first industry wide economic profile of the sports turf sector in England.
- Established the ‘Grounds & Natural Turf Improvement Programme’ in partnership with the FA, the ECB, Sport England and Rugby League. Offering free advice to local sports club networks
- Established the IOG Awards
- Led the re-launch of SALTEX trade show indoors at the National Exhibition Centre Birmingham attracting 8900 visitors and 300 exhibitors in 2017.
- Led the introduction of a ‘Framework for natural turf’ linking education to technical standards from community level volunteer to professionals in stadiums