The National Sports Convention 2019 hosted the Australian Sport, Recreation and Play Innovation Awards.
The purpose of the Awards was to recognise individuals, and not-for-profits, commercial, play, recreation and sport sectors, on their innovations to get more people active in the industry.
The award finalists and winners are listed below.
2019 Australian Sport, Recreation and Play Innovation Award Winners
The Australian Sport, Recreation and Play Industry Innovation Awards announced their Category Award Winners on Wednesday 24th July and the Overall Winner on Thursday 25th July as part of the Global Thought Leaders Session with close to 1,000 delegates celebrating the finalists and the winner. These Innovation Awards aim at recognising and celebrating Innovation that has promoted and encouraged more people to play, recreate and participate in sport.
Each category winner received a trophy and $500 cash award. The finalists and winners of each category are:
1. Programs, Activities and Events
Innovative programs, activities and events that have been developed to encourage the community to be more active in large numbers:
- ACTIV8 RYAN, A fully inclusive physical education program to activate the whole student population (Qld) – Ryan Catholic College
- Man v Fat Soccer – Australia (WA) – University of Western Australia
- NAB RunWest (NSW), Community running event – Athletics Australia & Athletics NSW
The 2019 JOINT WINNERS: Ryan Catholic College & NAB RunWest
2. Sports Surfaces
Innovative solutions that allow greater intensity and durability of natural, hybrid, synthetic or hard sports surfaces that allow for greater usage:
- Aura Sports Floor (Qld) – Aura Sports
- Australian Catholic University FIFA Field and movable cricket wicket – Hansen Yuncken
The 2019 WINNER: Hansen Yuncken for their FIFA Football field over a carpark with a movable cricket wicket at Australia Catholic University, Strathfield NSW
3. Technological Solutions and Products
Business to business or the business to consumer innovations that encourage more people to play sport or be active:
- GameDay Mobile App (NSW) – Stack Sports
- Cricket Australia Coach APP (Vic) – Cricket Australia
- SportsEye Network (NSW) – ActiveXchange
The 2019 WINNER: SportsEye Network and ActiveXchange
4. Playground Design and Development
Designs and developments that allow and encourage more children to play, have fun and be active:
- Scarborough Beach Intergenerational Plaza (WA) – City of Stirling
- Carrs Bush Inclusive Playground (NSW) – Hornsby Shire Council
- Brimbank Nature Play – REVAMP research project – Deakin University
The 2019 WINNER: Brimbank Nature Play – REVAMP research project – Deakin University
5. Marketing and Communications Innovations
The packaging and communication of an opportunity in a manner that has innovatively encouraged more people to be active:
- Sports Surfacing for the Colour Blind (Education guide) – Grassports Australia (Qld)
- Exercise Right Week (Aus) – Exercise & Sports Science Australia
- Membership Retention and Communication Campaign (Aus) – Belgravia Leisure and ActiveXchange
The 2019 WINNER: Exercise & Sports Science Australia for their Exercise Right Week
6. Facility Design and Development
Innovative design and management that creates and environment where more people are active, (built and natural environments):
- Penshurst Park Sporting Hub Stage 1 (NSW) – Georges River Council
- Modular Accessible Pavilions (Qld) – Ausco Modular
- Broken Hill Integrated Wellness Centre (NSW) – YMCA (NSW)
The 2019 WINNER: Broken Hill Integrated Wellness Centre (NSW), YMCA (NSW)
7. Young Innovator of the Year
A young person (under 25) who has developed a program, space, activity, technological solution or innovative partnership that is encouraging more people to be active:
- Laura Eason (NSW) – YMCA (NSW)
- Patrick Beazley (Vic) – SPORTENG
- Annie Flamsteed (Qld) – iNSPIRE Sport Online
The 2019 WINNER: Annie Flamsteed (Qld) – iNSPIRE Sport Online
The Overall Winner of the Australian Sport, Recreation and Play Innovation Award was chosen from the seven individual winner as being the one that has shown the greatest innovation to the industry and can make the biggest impact.
The overall winner was SportsEye by ActiveXchange.