Sport, Recreation and Play Industry Innovation Award Finalists Announced
As an industry sector, we all acknowledge that there is a need to encourage more people to be active and provide them with opportunities to play, recreate, keep fit, and participate at all levels. Over the past few years we have seen the growth of new programs, events and more accessible facilities but little growth in formal participation numbers in physical activity in Australia.
The National Sports Convention 2018 has engaged more than a dozen collaborators and over 125 global and Australian organisations who are coming together to encourage the industry to be more innovative in the way it plans, funds, and provides active recreation and community opportunities. On target to achieve over 900 delegates the NSC is the largest community sport convention in the southern hemisphere
The Australian Sport, Recreation and Play Industry Awards have finalised and announced their Category Finalists. The Innovation Awards aim at recognising and celebrating Innovation that has promoted and encouraged more people to play, recreate and participate in sport. The Innovation Award winners will be announced as part of the National Sports Convention, in the Sport and Recreation Expo at the Victoria University Theatre at 6.00 pm on Tuesday 17th July.
Each category winner will receive a trophy and $500 cash award. The winners of each category will then be judged for the Overall Innovations Award and has the opportunity to be 2018 winner and receive a $1,000 Award.
The finalists in each category are:
1.Programs, Activities and Events:
Programs, activities and events that have been developed to encourage the community to be more active in large numbers:
- Disability Sport and Recreation (Vic) – Robert Rose Foundation Victorian Wheelchair Football League (Vic)
- Hobart Hurricanes – Hurricanes Inclusion Cup – inclusive cricket pathway program (Tas)
- Cumberland Council – 2018 World Traditional Games (NSW)
Innovative solutions that encourage field designs which results in greater usage:
- Blacktown City Council – Rugby League Field (NSW)
- Botanic Gardens and Centennial Parklands – Centennial Parkland Sports Centre upgrade (NSW)
3.Technological Solutions and Products
Technology that make the playing or administration of sport easier, more enjoyable or to enhance performance
- Sportility – Sponsorship and affordable sports uniforms (NSW)
- RevolutioniseSPORT – Australian Sailing Digital Transformation (NSW)
- Tennis Australia – Book a Court System (Vic)
Designs and developments that encourage more children to play, have fun and be active:
- Early Education Inc – Tumbalong Lights inclusive Playground (NSW)
- City of Nedlands / 3 Rotary Clubs – the Jo Wheatley All Abilities Play Space (WA)
- Play for All Australia – Belrose Inclusive Play Spaces (NSW)
5.Marketing and Communication
Packaging and communication of an opportunity in a manner that has encouraged more people to be active:
- Sportility – sports sponsorship alignment (WA)
- VicHealth – This Girl Can -Victoria (Vic)
- WaterPolo Queensland – Social Channels update (Qld)
6.Facility Design and Development
Innovative design and management that creates and environment where more people are active, (built and natural environments):
- Botanical Gardens and Centennial Parklands – Moore Park Golf Driving Range Upgrade (NSW)
- City of Cockburn – Design and Development of Cockburn Aquatic and Recreation Centre (WA)
- Disabled Winter Sport Australia – Howmans Gap Falls Creek Universal Access Alpine Lodge (Vic)
The finalists have been assessed and all finalists have been invited to the awards with the trophies being presented at 6.00pm.
National Sports Convention Innovation Expo
As part of the National Sports Convention Sport and Recreation Expo the final three short listed applicants will all be provided with an opportunity to display their innovation as part of the industry Expo so that the rest of the industry can appreciate their innovations.
Full details of the National Sports Convention can be found at www.nationalsportsconvention.com.au
Interviews and further questions on the National Sport, Recreation and Play Innovation Awards can be sourced from the National Sports Convention convenor, Martin Sheppard at email@example.com or by contacting 03 9421 0133.